At the start of 2022, as I was doing a job search, many people kept asking me what I was most passionate about. I think we all know that we have more than one passion, but if we were forced to choose, we would do so. From a professional/career standpoint, I am most passionate about student success in college. In part, this is because I struggled a bit with student success for a couple years in college. I had excellent grades but I was unhappy until I discovered college outside classes. One quote I use to describe my love for student success is that “I have actively mastered what I passively suffered” (Savickes). I have studied student success for over 30 years through reading, writing, presenting, and practicing it.
The following are some of the articles and/or insights I have on this topic:
- A Hierarchy of Needs for Student Success
- My Million Dollar Idea (for Student Success)
- Missing Data from Student Engagement that Can Improve Student Success
- An Institutional Maturity Model for Student Success
- Helping Students to Succeed in College by Learning to Ride a Bike – Part 1
- Helping Students to Succeed in College by Learning to Ride a Bike – Part 2
- When Students and Faculty are Online, How Do Student Affairs/Academic Staff Have an Impact?